Visions of Paradise

Saturday, November 19, 2005

Prozines, part 2

I’ve talk previously about my love of sf prozines (May 29, 2005), so those of you with long memories should not be surprised that I currently subscribe to three regularly-published zines. None of them are the almost-monthly zines (Asimov’s, F&SF, Analog), largely because I have so many books I want to read that I do not want to commit myself to a large chunk of monthly reading. After all, I have 93 unread books in my collection and another 100 on my “wish list” waiting to be purchased.

But quarterly and semi-annual prozines are another matter, especially when they have nearly the same, or equally the same, as the so-called “leading” prozines. SO the three prozines I currently subscribe to are:

Postscripts, published by PS Publishing, the current issue which was discussed here on Oct 27, 2005, so I won’t repeat myself this time. However, if you have never read anything Peter Crowther has edited, and do not want to jump headlong into a magazine subscription, try one of his novella anthologies first. Each of them contains four stand-alone novellas which he published at PS Publishing. I particularly recommend Futures (featuring novellas by Paul McAuley, Stephen Baxter, and two excellent novellas by Peter F. Hamilton and Ian McDonald) and Cities (novellas by China Mieville, Michael Moorcock, and two outstanding ones by Geoff Ryman and Paul DiFilippo). Or, if shorter fiction is your favorite, try one of his collections of short stories Moon Shots or Mars Probes. Crowther might be the most outstanding editor currently working in the science fiction field.

Paradox, which is devoted about equally to mainstream historical fiction, historical fantasy, and alternate history. This is not as uniformly high quality as Postscripts, but the stories are always interesting, and there is usually at least one superior story every issue. This would probably appeal mostly to fans of historical fiction.

Fantasy Magazine, a new quarterly published by Wildside Press. I have not received the first issue yet, which was introduced at the recent World Fantasy Convention, but I decided to try a four-issue subscription for three reasons: I have always wanted to support Wildside Press in some small way; the magazine will receive a rave review in the next issue of Locus; and the first issue contains fiction by Jeffrey Ford (who is fabulous) and Jeff VanderMeer (whom I have never read, but am anxious to sample), plus an interview with Ford. After I receive the first issue, I’ll let you know here how it is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home